December 23, 2010

The Holiday Cactus.

I have to say, my sense of time is severely fucked. It was 80 degrees on the first day of winter. I spent my weekend getting lost in boulders in jeans and a t-shirt.

However, nothing put me in my present place in time like a "holiday" cactus. Essentially, cactus grows here like trees, so it makes sense to decorate one accordingly. There are lights on them, some of even have ornaments  and I've even seen one dressed as a deer!

At first, I was pissed. "How dare someone decorate a cactus?" It rubbed me the wrong way. As the anger subsided, and the holiday mood took over, I realized it's kind of kitchy. There wasn't a lot here to get me in the holiday spirit. It's still hot and sunny. I recently received a sunburn. I still sit out on my balcony and read in my hammocks. It gets dark at 5:45.

 In all of it's strange decor, became one of the few things that reminded me of the upcoming holiday.



On an awesome sidenote: You can also eat cactus.  And it's quiet delicious!  Like many things,  here, they fry it and  put it in a burrito.

No comments: