May 31, 2010

Post-Riottt Girl & Fake Breasts

or why you should not even consider listening to Christina A(whatever the spelling is)


Someone needs to tell me why Le Tigre is featured on Christina Aguilria (Agulariea? However you spell it...) new album.

This is not feminism:



A pop star being openly sexual- fine. She no doubt has a great voice, but her approach to being 'female' as in feminist... is all wrong--I find it disgusting, un-classy, unrefined and puts some Riottt Girl to shame. Kathleen Hanna, what has become of you?

Let me explain. You can't go against the grain and call yourself a feminist with large fake breast implants, dyed platinum hair, massive amounts of makeup WHILE using your image to a)sell records b)sell records based off an image that completely gives into the masculine dominated beauty standards. Where is the feminism in that? In being an object by men while adhering to their standards beauty? About adhering to the gender binary! In the Hetero-normative approaches?!

She is talented...vocally. Don't get me wrong, but I'd rather gouge my ears out than listen to her new album. What makes me even more frustrated is that Le Tigre is featured, even M.I.A. I am not so concerned about the latter, but mixing her music with radical 3rd wave riotttt girl who sang about queer rights, female power, gender binaries, patriarchy... and so much more that really mattered to women. It is a sad day for feminist rock.

This is what feminism and music SHOULD look like:





R.I.P. Riottt Girl.




Blogs soon to come:
-Kitchy Small Town USA. or "My Time in Coolin, Idaho"
-Keep Austin Weird or "Saddle Up, I'm moving to Austin"

No comments: