May 26, 2010

Sassy Satire

Or Why Did I just Discover Married to the Sea?

Hilarious. I am very disappointed I just discovered this internet gem.

After reading many of the cartoons, I am pretty sure, almost positive that many of the satirical, humorous nature of Married to the Sea came directly from "Punch Magazine"

Example from Punch:

Example from Married to the Sea:

Strikingly similar don't you think? If you've never read any Punch, I'd highly suggest it, the 1840s-1920s are especially wonderful in their political racism, homophobia, AntiSemitism, and sexism. All the great "ism"s that make that era incredibly hilarious and enriching to read. I mean, this was a time of great cultural transition, pre/post WWI, Post- Revolutionary France/America, Rise of the Industrial Revolution, dawn of sexuality in the public sphere and the groundwork of Freud and psychology...some great stuff happening if you pay keen attention.


But, for now, I leave you with this:

Thanks Married to the Sea, you've given me a nice break from my graduate applications and essay writing.



No comments: