December 13, 2009


In a recent conversation, in which you clearly know the question you pose to the other party & the other party answers, knowing full well you were asking with a subtle basis of judgment . They now suddenly feel pressure to answer accordingly.


I asked them what kind of music they felt they enjoyed listening to.


Let me just say here that I don't want to be a pretentious asshole but I know I'm going to sound like one


And their response was the most unique I have ever received. Usually people feel the need to create either a really hip honest answer or they just answer with really predictable manners, like, "Well, mostly indie stuff" or "Underground hiphop and jazz fusion" or "KANYE!" or "Lady GaGa, because she's just so Euro-trash and original." etc. etc.


But instead, they said that there was a tranquility that is found in silence. They then answered the question. Which was really an ingenious way to answer a question by posing music's unsaid enemy silence-- because really music covers silence. In a way you can never have music and silence at the same time. So doesn't that make them enemies, in a strictly figurative sense? In relation to this, silence, at least for myself and many people I know covers loneliness. However, at the end of the day you have to embrace the comfort of silence no matter what record you are playing or what music playlist is on your computer.


It then progressed to a discussion of Bon Iver. I told him that I read somewhere that listening to Bon Iver was like being able to read and feel a person's most intimate moments. That there is nothing more honest than a singer with a guitar/instrument. It is raw, uninhibited by other's subjective input and in that simplicity, honesty is so clear. While I enjoy the complexities of bands (such as dirty projectors) they don't seem to be as honest as Neil Young or Bon Iver. Keep it simple.


-----

No comments: