September 5, 2009

The face lift.

Promised story

A retirement community road the boat to Victoria. I learned the following a) Older people don't tip b) they are incredibly demanding c) they want things exactly when they ask for them d) they decorate their walkers as a means of self expression. I do not understand letter d in the slightest.

what made my day complete was my interaction with 'the dudette' a female version of 'the dude.' Her physical description is as follows:
An art garfunkel-esque haircut, paisley pants that were two inches too short, a pair of birkenstocks complete with black socks & glasses half the size of her face, a carbon copy of the kind Steve Eurkel wore, complete with the flip-up sunglass attachment.
Everything that she said ended in the response, "that's so cool", "yeah dude" or "whateva"
At least she didn't complain said stolen carpet.

At the end of the night with Fairhaven in sight, the dock in my field-of-view, (the safe haven that I am almost home) the Dudette goes up, past the 'crew only' sign. She grabs the the microphone and says, "I just want everyone to know how wonderful this was. Let's give the crew and captain a 'hip-hip-hoorah!"
Silence.
I can feel the air tense, an awkward mood spreads until 80 retired men and women chant.
"Hip!"
"Hip!"
...
HOORAH!

I instantaneously begin laughing. Picture decorated walkers, an impatient line of wrinkle-filled old people lining the door, mouths simultaneously moving while the entire 100 foot boat is filled with a deep chorus of "hip-hip-hoooooorah!"

By God, the dudette might of just made my night.

No comments: