November 28, 2010

While I was back, a lot of people asked me what Texas was like. So, I will show you in the best way that I can:


Pair the vibe/tonality of this song and feeling with winters that look like this:

The more I'm here the more I realize Austin is still the south. It's not the deep south, and technically, Texas is its own region, but I still know I wake up with subtle social differences I notice right after coming back from Washington. Here, I can't escape in-your-face-racism (talks about the confederate flag and "White Pride",  Robert E. Lee statues and gentrification, people constantly asking what race you are) extreme poverty or people who don't understand sarcasm and approach difficult situations with passive rhetorical strategies.

However, all that said, moving away from any comfort I knew, friends, family, familiarity, and immersing myself in complete solitude, has been, and will be, one of the best decisions I will ever make. I encourage everyone to do something similar.

And now, a message from George Strait: 


No comments: