November 27, 2009

That new Beck/Charolotte Gainsborg song has been driving me nuts. I don't like to NOT understand (or at least theorize) the use of rhetoric. So a little time and with a a little wine (a lot) and I've finally figured out what the fuck is going on in the video. Or what I think is going on.

I know, I know you don't care. But come on! Theorizing things that are not tangibly real is so fun! No seriously! Come on!

It's a complex video with the simplest message just about life-- in its everyday form. Sure, they show the absurd, but the lyrics focus on images that you see everyday, greyhounds, escalades, elevators... so it is really just about existing between heaven and hell, which is well, here. It seems so simple! The contrast of the video/lyrics really created so much juxtaposition I became confused.


Which leads me to reaffirm that beauty is found in the everyday. I know, I know, glass half full bull, but, I drank the other half. I'm a firm believer that if you surround yourself with beautiful things/places you will be happier. Aesthetic movement++++ totally rad and leads to happiness (with a side of consumerism and Orientalism at its finest!)



Sidenote: I think Charlotte is particularly pretty, in a very French way.... as is Alain Delon. This should be noted only because I was talking about aesthetics and his subtle sexuality. Thanks France...

No comments: