October 11, 2009

OH. EE. DEE.

I love the Oxford English Dictionary.

While it's a heavy and debatable question, I think knowledge comes from consciousness. Human consciousness is formed by a desire to communicate. Communication is formed through words. Yeah?

So, in a way, epistemology, for me, is linked to the historical context of English words.
I love theorizing the context and cultural content behind a single word. Each word we speak, we think, we use, everyday, can be coated and analyzed with a historical context.

This is where the OED comes in.
I found that there is no word between 'lost'/'found' that something is either lost or found. There are no words to describe the in between. What happens if something is neither lost or found? The fact that so many words are described in a strict binary form, really speaks volumes about the thought patters English speaking countries. I mean, we thrive on the idea of one or the other, with no spectrum of in between.

Also, the word 'solitude' is derived from the latin root, "Solus" which means, "Single or alone" The english word was first used in 1374, by Chaucer, "She hath so grete compassion on her knyght, That dwelleth in solitude til she come" I just think the context of that particular word is beautiful. It was used in comparison or contrast to be together.

I just think the fact we can learn so much about culture through words is so fascinating.

----------------------
Sidenote: Fall colors?


No comments: