October 2, 2010

Hi, How are you?

or what does it feel like to live in the 3rd fastest growing city in the US?
and
and what does Daniel Johnston have to do with this?


Originally when I was writing this post, I was going to write about how incredibly and noticeably gentrified Austin has started to become due to its population growth rate. I was then going to relate it back to the famous, "Hi, How are you?"  graffiti on Guadeloupe. Austin has grown, and along with it, so has the wealth distribution and social class. 

"These days, though, the mural of a relic of an Austin which no 
longer exists, but for in the minds of its current (and former) citizens
 who are at least a decade older than the undergraduates who walk past it every single day" 




However, after thinking about this, I realized that I don't want to write about that, so I erased all my words, letters and spaces and decided to share a video by Daniel Johnston, the creator of the, now famous, "Hi, How are you" frog. I am drawn to his music, not because of its quality, but because of it's incredible raw honest tone.











No comments: