July 23, 2010

Local Flavor

or While Reading 'The Inlander' I Stumbled Across This Artist from Spokane.



So. Ok. Obvious influence by Beck, a very low-grade, Beck, but its something that I can appreciate. The record was released in a very small independent label in Idaho, in an area that isn't really reputable for being supportive of local artists. This isn't Seattle. This isn't the West side of the state. Spokane is the "cultural epicenter", the largest city between Seattle and St. Louis. This is a small town of 300,000 people, mostly proletariat just trying to make a living, pay taxes, enjoy life and raise a family. And,  this is something I can really appreciate. These are, in fact, my roots.

 I really do enjoy how the aura- of this city is captured here.  The video was shot at a *very* familiar park on the S. Hill,  the flat tonality and imperfections of his voice set the mood  for the city as a whole and well, the lyrics, "On my days, drifting through the haze/so pick me up/send me on my way/play it down.../cause all those knives you're tossing/will catch you in the back/ so make your mind" seem simple, yet oddly effective in their approach. This song, contextualized with the area, fits very, very, very well.

I guess what I am saying is, I can't critique this song. It's not mind-blowing, but it's remarkable that a local artist was published  & reviewed in the Inlander. At the end of the day it makes me really happy to know that creative people can produce here.


Plus, homeage to the garbage goat.



I'm still working on the blog about educational reform and temporal band-aids...but it's gonna be a while folks. Sorry, it's a complex subject and I don't know if I am really qualified to be informed. Education in the U.S. is a fucking mess and I don't think I can put together a cohesive blog post.
However, I'll try.


No comments: