March 22, 2010

The symbolism of Packing/Human Narration of Robert Frank

I find the process of packing incredibly symbolic. You sort through your material possessions and deem what you think you will 'need'.


I need peanut butter, a toothbrush, soap, a business suit, a cellphone and a pen and paper. Thus my packing has been dwindled down to a small carry on. However, as I was packing, I found that myself grabbing things I didn't need. Living in a thriving materialistic (thriving being that we still consume in a recession) it seems I would grab things I would not need. I am curious to wonder what others will bring, how much this reflects, if at all, who they are as a person.

The process of packing itself is interesting, lists, check-off, things we need in a modern society. I believe as modernity increases, so does the idea of complexity. Packing: A Symbolism and Process of Identity! Who are you really beyond the suitcase?! Ok. I'm sorry that was terribly cheesy.

----------

HUMAN NARRATION. The world is full of interesting, unique and beautiful people. Each of them to me is kind of like a book. They have the external that you see, the visual, it either grabs you, interests you, attracts you or throws you off. There is a lot to say about appearance. They all have an internal, with an incredible amount of layers. I want to see as many layers of people as possible. With this, however, I must be able to show others my layers and become comfortable.

Strangers are fascinating to me, as sometimes, most of the time, they will tell you the strangest things about their lives. I love this about people. I love, love, love, love this.

I have this wonderful art project I am in the process of working on. I am going to encounter a plethora of people while in NYC and Portland & in the airports. I have a camera. I can take nice composition photos. I want to write these things down about the people I encounter, and then take their picture... or take their picture and write it down.

I will have 4 days to meander around Brooklyn and Manhattan solo, so I figure why not? Places are really interesting but its the people that make it fascinating. It's the people that give it life. The East Coasters are cold but if all else fails, I can go to the village...

Robert Frank did something along these lines in the 50's called "The Americans." He literally went around the U.S and took photos of people in their lives.

Jack Kerouac wrote,
"Robert Frank, Swiss, unobtrusive, nice, with that little camera that he raises and snaps, with one hand he sucked a sad poem right out of America onto film, taking rank among the tragic poets of the world"


Some photos by Frank:








You do your work as a photographer and everything becomes past. Words are more like thoughts; the photographer`s picture is always surrounded by a kind of romantic glamor - no matter what you do, and how you twist it." Robert Frank



No comments: