March 9, 2010

Oscars!

Tag: Initials, Soccer Coaches, Sexism, Patriarchy.


Moving pictures have been around for almost 100 years. How come it took this long for a woman to win an Oscar for best director? I am not devaluing her Oscar nod, the gold statue's salute and prestige. However, it should be noted that it is despicable that no one is asking why it took so long for a woman to achieve this status.

And, no the answer is not that men are simply better at directing movies.

However, I do appreciate Kathryn Bigelow because she shares my initials. And, my old soccer coach, a strange Argentinian Man was named Oscar. At the age of 14 he told me about how he used to play soccer barefoot and once saw a man's shin snap in half as his leg folded backwards, all explained and veiled by syrup consistency, thick Spanish accent. Does this make sense?

No?

That's alright. Just go with the flow.

Also enraging, the frustration about why I blog. And, furthermore, is my blog worth reading? And, how egocentric is a blog? Facebook, Myspace, since you are in sole control of who you are and how you are presented. It's a bold move socially, considering it's a social shift in paradigm centered around the image and presentation of the self, yourself. I guess what I'm saying is, on the internet, you can look like, talk like and be anything you like, even if it isn't who you are.
Identity is fluid.

Try that on for size?

Doesn't fit.

That's alright. Just go with the flow.

No comments: