July 25, 2009

Luddite

"What interests me is the post-Newtonian extrabiologic implications of a human species ability to think and act using clusters of electrons: light, in other words. If the opening act of the evolutionary drama involved a decent from light into a matter and language, it only makes sense that the closing act, so to speak, we reunite with our photonic progenitor. The role that language--the word-- will play in our light driven metamorphosis is the furry little question that cranks my squirrel cage...E-mails a wonderful convenience, even when its goddamn hacked, but that's another story. What I'm saying is I'm not gonna sit around for hours every day having nonorgasmic sex with a computer or a TV set. These machines will suck the life right of you if you give 'em half a chance"
-Tom Robbins, "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates"


I'm going to skip over the obvious irony of blogging about the technological aspects of society (because well, duh, i'm using new media as a medium for conveying my ideas about technology which disproves the use of it entirely) and go straight to why I find myself using a computer and watching tv less and less when normalized society is using both of these mediums more and more. I put down both of these things for these reasons and nothing else- the sheer experience of seeing tangible beauty because hot damn-- there are very few things in life that actually take your breath away.








































No comments: