January 23, 2012

Freewrite!

One of my new years goals was to start writing more. I have accomplished that, somewhat, in-between new school and a new job in the 22 days that have been 2012.

I'm always afraid to share my writing openly, only because people are such harsh critics, but, with a new dose of self confidence and determination- I give you: Attempt 1.
A poem that was written frantically in the lines on my note taking page,  in a classroom that was 85 degrees.

It started out as this:





Nostalgia

I am from 4 seasons of  lifelong
change, adaptability and fading permanence. 

Pinetrees and mountains that gently
brush their fingertips on the skyline.

I am from prophetic working-class
utterances, whispered faintly between conversations,
weaving together hope like the entangled grapevine
that grew slowly and steadily in my old backyard.


And turned into this (a work still in progress)


I am from prophetic working-class  
utterances, whispered faintly between conversations,
weaving together hope like the entangled grapevine
that grew slowly and steadily in my old backyard,
between the uneven sidewalk and the sturdy plum trees
         (Even so, did you get what you wanted from this life?)

 The vines tangled themselves, speaking faintly
of my father’s forgotten dreams as I watched him
pull the lever on the lawnmower, again and again.
        
I ask myself, “Even so, did you get what you wanted from this life?”

My dreams now, they dance freely between the branches,
         growing plums and ripening grapes.




----------
I have three goals this year for my writing:

 1.  To write a poem that is published 
 2. To get published on The Thought Catalog.
3. To share what I write more, even if it isn't perfect. (much like the poem I just shared!)


1 comment:

Michael Lang said...

Very nice, Ms. Bouck.