December 21, 2011

Waste Land


“Do I dare 
Disturb the universe? 

In a minute there is time 
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.” 
T.S Elliot 



Recently, I watched “Waste Land” a documentary about art, artistic production of everyday objects and classism in Brazil. I was more than hesitant to watch this film, but I was intrigued by the idea of creating art through everyday material.  More so, I was interested in how art was created out of waste.

 I am always hesitant on the bourgeoisie idea of the poor. The movie ends and I have vague lingerings of  exploitation in their lifestyles.  There are always prevalent underlying themes of how “they” are primitive and less modern than “us." All I truly desire is an honest depiction of life. Beautiful art=honesty.   In my view, this is subtly disguised as an outsiders (usually a white Westerner) appreciation of a different way of life. And then we sit.  We judge. We make life in our comfortable homes and privileged lifestyles and become a voyeur to another’s life for a brief hour and half then go about our daily lives.

I went in expecting something to that effect. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised and happy that I spent the time to watch this movie. In fact, the ideas and people actually emotionally reached me in a way I did not expect.

This documentary is note worthy for a variety of reasons. In one manner, there is the artistic production and involvement of the people in the making of the pieces, the subtle introspective nature on Brazil’s poverty and class system, the idea of human’s wasteful nature and  strong bond of humanism. The people were not exploited in their poverty, they were part of the process of the art. From the art, they grew, and as a the viewer, we grow too.


And most importantly, there is the idea of art as a mechanism for change in a tangible artistic and humanitarian manner. Vik Muniz did something very powerful, for not only the viewer, but for the people and objects he was capturing. This harmonious relationship can be seen in the art itself, and to me, it is incredibly profound and powerful.
© Vik Muniz  



© Vik Muniz  


© Vik Muniz  


All this was created from this:
© msnbc




No comments: